From DoomRL Wiki
Game difficulty roughly emulates that of the original game. There are five to select from:
- I'm Too Young to Die (ITYTD): The easiest difficulty, in many ways. Ammo is doubled, enemy spawns are at their lowest, healing and powerup durations are doubled. A good way to start playing the game, although you won't have access to every special level available nor play any challenges.
- Hey, Not Too Rough (HNTR): The "standard" difficulty for many players. Given that all multipliers are set to one, challenges are allowed, and all special levels are now available, this is an appropriate moniker.
- Hurt Me Plenty (HMP): The first "difficult" difficulty. More numerous and accurate enemies appear at earlier floors, giving you less time to prepare for the late stages of the game.
- Ultra-violence (UV): The difficulty of DoomRL veterans. This is the point where even the first few floors of the game can kill you reliably if you don't know the inns and outs of the game. It is unlocked at the Lance Corporal skill rank.
- Nightmare! (N!): The exclamation point does not lie, this difficulty is for hardcore players only. In addition to Ultra-violence changes, enemies can respawn at any time, are faster (relative to you), and attack more often. You can't save, either! At least several of the ITYTD benefits are back to help. It is unlocked at the Sergeant skill rank.
The differences in game difficulty may seem subtle, but switching to a harder difficulty is easily the most frustrating part of playing DoomRL, diamond badges aside. Difficulty information has been tabulated: the columns are identified as follows:
- Shorthand: How the difficulty is expressed on the score page (and in mortem tags on the forums)
- Score Multiplier: How much your score is increased by, just by playing on that difficulty level
- Ammo Multiplier: For randomly generated ammo, how much extra is added to each stack
- Enemy Accuracy: How much the enemies' accuracy is changed on this difficulty
- Enemy Spawns: How many enemies spawn on randomly generated levels, and how much their depth level is modified
- Healing/Powerups: The duration/strength of powerups, and the health gain of small healing items
- XP Multipler: How much increased experience is gained for killing enemies
- Special: Any extra features regarding the difficulty level
|Difficulty||Shorthand||Score Multiplier||Ammo Multiplier||Enemy Accuracy||Enemy Spawns||Healing/ Powerups||XP Multiplier||Special|
|I'm Too Young To Die||E||0.5||2||-1||Low/+0||Doubled||1.4||Acid/lava deals half damage, some special levels barred, no challenges|
|Hey, Not Too Rough||M||1||1||+0||Normal/+0||Normal||1.2||N/A|
|Hurt Me Plenty||H||1.5||1.25||+0||High/-3||Normal||1||N/A|
|Nightmare!||N!||4||2||+2||WTF/-6||Doubled||1.2||Respawning, player speed decreased by 10%, +50% enemy attack chance, no saving|
This section lists the different challenges and how they affect gameplay.
Angel Game Challenges
|Challenge||Difficulty||Unlocked at||Description||Starting Items|
|Angel of Berserk (AoB)||Medium||Private FC||Only melee weapons can be used to attack. Large Healing Globes additionally grant 20 turns of berserk.||Large med-pack (x2), blue armor|
|Angel of Marksmanship (AoMr)||Medium||Private FC||Only pistols and fists can be used to attack.||Standard + 1 random standard mod (except power mod) + 1 technical mod|
|Angel of Shotgunnery (AoSh)||Easy||Lance Corporal||Only shotguns (weapons with a spread projectile) and fists can be used to attack.||Shotgun, shotgun shell (x50)|
|Angel of Light Travel (AoLT)||Hard||Lance Corporal||Your inventory is limited to 5 items (excluding equipment slots); player speed is increased by 20%.||Standard + 10mm ammo chain + shell box|
|Angel of Impatience (AoI)||Hard||Corporal||All consumable items are immediately used upon pickup.||Standard - small med-pack (x2)|
|Angel of Confidence (AoCn)||Very Hard||Sergeant||You start on Deimos floor 1 instead of Phobos floor 1 (thus skipping the first 8 levels)||Pistol (equipped), shotgun, chaingun, combat knife, 10mm ammo (x100), shotgun shell (x50), large med-pack (x2)|
|Angel of Purity (AoP)||Blade||Sergeant||All powerup effects are disabled.||Standard|
|Angel of Red Alert (AoRA)||Medium||Sergeant||A five-minute nuke is armed at the start of every level, whether random or special.||Standard|
|Angel of Darkness (AoD)||Very Hard||Sergeant||Your vision radius is only 6 and anything outside of this radius is black, except for what maps reveal as well as Intuition. Scouts and maps do not know the location of stairs. Experience gain is doubled.||Standard|
|Angel of Max Carnage (AoMC)||Easy||Sergeant Major||All attacks from all source deal maximum damage, and accuracy of yourself and all enemies is increased by 12.||Standard|
|Angel of Masochism (AoMs)||Blade||Sergeant Major||All healing effects (including tactics restoration) are disabled, save Vampyre You are supercharged at every level-up.||Standard, no medpacks, 100 ammo instead of 40.|
|Angel of 100 (A100)||Hard||Sergeant Major||All special levels are removed: the player must instead descend 100 floors to win.||Standard|
|Angel of Pacifism (AoPc)||Easy||Sergeant Major||All weapon attacks are disabled. Phobos Base Entry is removed (for balance purposes). Every third staircase you descend makes you level-up.||Thermonuclear bomb, large med-pack (x4), blue armor (equipped)|
|Angel of Humanity (AoHu)||Blade||Warrant Officer||Your max HP starts at 10. Ironman increases your max HP by two per rank.||Standard + large med-pack (x2), red armor (equipped), one of each standard mod|
|Angel of Overconfidence (AoOC)||Very Hard||Warrant Officer||You start on Hell floor 1 instead of Phobos floor 1 (thus skipping the first 16 levels)||Combat pistol (equipped), assault shotgun, minigun, combat knife, large med-pack (x2), 10mm ammo chain, shell box|
Dual-Angel Game Challenges
Lets you select a pair of challenges to run simultaneously.
|Primary Challenge||Eligible Secondary Challenges|
|Angel of Berserk||AoCn, AoOC, A100, AoLT, AoI, AoP, AoRA, AoD, AoMs|
|Angel of Marksmanship||AoCn, AoOC, A100, AoLT, AoI, AoP, AoRA, AoD, AoMs|
|Angel of Shotgunnery||AoCn, AoOC, A100, AoLT, AoI, AoP, AoRA, AoD, AoMs|
|Angel of Impatience||AoCn, AoOC, A100, AoLT, AoRA, AoD|
|Angel of Purity||AoCn, AoOC, A100, AoLT, AoRA, AoD|
|Angel of Darkness||AoCn, AoOC, A100, AoLT, AoI, AoP, AoRA, AoMs|
|Angel of Max Carnage||AoCn, AoOC, A100, AoLT, AoI, AoP, AoRA, AoD, AoMs|
|Angel of Pacifism||AoCn, AoOC, A100, AoI, AoP, AoD, AoMs|
|Angel of Humanity||AoCn, AoOC, A100, AoI, AoP, AoRA, AoD, AoMs|
Archangel Game Challenges
Extremely difficult challenges, each one is a harder version of an Angel Game Challenge.
|Challenge||Difficulty||Unlocked at||Description||Starting Items|
|Archangel of Travel||Blade||2nd Lieutenant||Your inventory is limited to 2 items (excluding equipment slots); player speed is increased by 30%.||Pistol (equipped) + 10mm ammo chain|
|Archangel of Red Alert||Blade||2nd Lieutenant||A two-and-a-half-minute nuke is armed at the start of every level, whether random or special.||Standard|
|Archangel of Masochism||Blade||1st Lieutenant||All healing effects (including tactics restoration) are disabled, save Vampyre.||Standard, no medpacks, 100 ammo instead of 40.|
|Archangel of 666||Blade||1st Lieutenant||All special levels are removed: the player must instead descend 666 floors to win.||Standard|
|Archangel of Pacifism||Blade||1st Lieutenant||All weapon attacks are disabled. Phobos Base Entry is removed (for balance purposes).||Thermonuclear bomb, large med-pack (x4), blue armor (equipped)|
|Archangel of Humanity||TwoDev||Captain||Your maximum HP starts at 10. Ironman increases your max HP by two per rank. You don't get any benefit from leveling up.||Standard + large med-pack (x2), red armor (equipped), one of each standard mod|